Thought some of you may want to see what Daphne looks like at about 3 months of age. She’s healthy and happy and in the ~74th percentile for length (they don’t call it height until they can stand) and weight.
While her infant immune system gears up for her public debut, here’s a picture that seems to capture her essence.
Sun and Daphne and I are home now. Sun and I are taking shifts taking care of Daphne, which seems like a great short-term idea, but I would like to see Sun again some day 🙂
An interesting tidbit: Newborns are expected to lose about 10% of their body weight in the first few days after birth. Daphne has actually gained weight already. We think we may just tie a feed bag to her head.
Thanks to everyone who sent their congratulations, kudos and/or well-wishes 🙂 Let chaos commence!
Sun’s hospital stay has been extended so they can make sure she is free of complications. Basically, they think she may either have a stealthy infection or a reaction to a vaccination, both of which can present similarly. To be prudent, they’re treating it as if it’s an infection. So it’ll be a day or two before we’re all back home.
Daphne is doing great, and she already speaks baby talk in nineteen languages.
We’re going to be inducing labor in the next couple of days. Daphne’s 0th birthday approaches!
My dad and I put the finishing touches on the treadmill desk top, and it is both functional and beautiful. The wood is from dead walnut trees that had to be cut down, so I arranged for a portable sawmill service to turn them into rough boards about an inch thick. I have enough to make several more of these, if anyone’s interested 🙂 The desk surface isn’t 100% flat because I decided not to opt for a $1000 tool that would parallelize the top and bottom of the rough boards, but it’s close enough to flat that I don’t notice it unless I look for it. The surface consists of two solid boards joined with biscuits and then sanded with ever-finer grains of sandpaper with a combination of belt and orbital handheld sanders. Edges were smoothed with sanders, and the cable guides were made with a router. Finally, it was sealed with two coats of varnish to deepen the color and bring out the grain. The mounting method is easier to show than to describe, so take a look at the final thumbnail below for that.
Click the thumbnails below for details.
And here it is.